Poodle’s day out!

The birthday dress actually got finished just in time for my weekend away. 

After blogging about the skirt I decided on this lovely pattern for the bodice. The vintage style just seemed to compliment the poodles!  

 

Using a plain cotton to line I used this to make up & fit first. The pattern made up true to measurement (learn valuable lesson from past experience to make to body measurement not retail dress size) and the only adjustment made was to take a little fullness out of bra cup by increasing size of top dart on lining &increasing  side gathers on outer fabric.  

   

Keeping the button detail on the top section, a zip was prick stitched into skirt; hand stitching ment I could enjoy some sunny rays at the same time🌞 I always find cutting the button holes scary so love this tip I read somewhere about putting pin at end so you don’t accidentally cut to far. 

  

This is a pattern that is going to be reused on a regular basis. Only issue I had was the front bodice bagging under bust as fabric in gathers hung down but this was easily sorted by stitching the fabric & lining together along the centre front seam.  

 

Overall I love the dress although I do need to make a fuller petticoat to show off the skirt shape & was pleasantly surprised to get compliments from strangers walking down the street☺️. As it was a little chilly I didn’t brave removing my jacket outside for a pic but I felt suitably dressed for my birthday treat at the fantastic Hutong Resturant, amazing food with a view to match.  

   

Sewing plans

 

 well I planned to sew all over Easter but things like making profiteroles just seemed to get in the way, very tasty they were too though! 

Since then time has just flown so sewing has been in short bursts & the only reason I’ve managed to find the time to write this now is because I’m sat in the car waiting to be rescued…last 3 petrol stations closed & car says 0miles left so I’ve pulled in at a safe spot & sent out an sos😠

Anyway back to the sewing. In my last blog I explained my plan for a birthday dress with the poodle fabric. Wanting to keep the design around the bottom of full skirt but not being a fan of lots of gathers around my waist I found inspiration from Matt Chapple & the dress he made for the final of this years Sewing Bee……it was all about the angles! 

So I started by pressing the fabric into panels then drawing angles to make darts to reduce the fullness for the waistline. By doing this in sections it ment I could check I was avoiding the pretty bits! 

   
  

 

Final fit to my waist measurement was made with box pleats, ready to attach to a bodice. I was most pleased by my pattern matching at the back seam…

 

I’m happy that the skirt is looking like the vague picture I had in my head & the rescue party (one man, his dog & a full petrol can!) is here so I’ll be back soon to tell u about the rest😃