“Toile- a version of a garment made to test a pattern”
Being the impatient sewer that I am & with my little amount of sewing time being precious I’ve been terrible in the past for just ploughing straight in…sometimes I have been lucky but many occasions have resulted in disappointment. Garments not fitting correctly, style just not sitting right, made up garment shrinking during first wash as I didn’t pre-wash fabric as it stated.
Time spent altering things later would be much better spent preparing properly so I’m aiming to produce a toile garment of some sort for each project, preferably a wearable toile😃
I’ve noticed I have a real shortage of tops in my wardrobe as the weather got warmer (or should I say it briefly got warmer, it’s pouring & blowing a gale as I write this!) so in preparation for my simplicity bloggers challenge I decided to make my toile from a floral cotton remnant that I picked up at Fabricland, Portsmouth
I only had enough to squeeze the sleeveless version in & cutting to my measurements I graded up a size on the waist. This pattern includes a reasonable amount of ease so I found once made that I hadn’t needed to.
The pattern includes a zip closure so for this version I decided to make it a feature…..there are so many exposed zips in High Street fashion at the moment.