Having sadly lost our big black daft dog a couple weeks ago I’ve felt at a bit of a loss at times & totally missing my motivation to sew. I don’t know if it’s due to the lack of interruptions of squeaky toys & puppy dog eyes but my sewing room has seemed a little too quiet to sit for an evening.
I have been keeping busy with my daughters crafting for the up coming wedding but decided I’d find myself a quick sew to get back into the swing of it. Raiding the fabric pile I found this knit that I must have purchased over a year ago.
I didn’t have an exact plan for it when I bought it, hence getting left in the fabric heap, but loved it’s loose weave & silky feel. I have a shortage of tops again, I don’t know where my clothes go off & hide, so thought I’d replace a overworn batwing tshirt.
Firstly I measured the depth of the band I wanted around the hips, doubled it & cut this strip off the bottom of fabric. I then folded the remaining fabric lengthwise, the folded edge being the shoulder line.
Marking the centre I used the old shirt as a guide for neckline & for the width at the bottom & cuff edges before making a curved shape for the side seam.
So to the sew. Joining bias strips together to make a circle the same radius as the neck opening, I then folded the band widthways and attached used a stretch stitch, before top stitching close to seam line to give a flat finish.
After sewing side seams I then took the long strip. Measuring hips for size I joined the narrower edges together to form a tube, folded in half (wrong sides together) and tried on for fit. Happy with snugness this was then added to hemline of top.
So that was a quick sew! Not sure if it’s a dress or a top but love it’s versatility & how it hangs. The cuffs are a little to baggy so may take off & redo or just wear folded back.