With the invite to a charity lunch it had to mean a new dress. I wanted something smart & different but not too dressy……so I came up with the idea of this evening/wedding dress pattern but in denim!
Making view c but with the shorter length of view B as the length, I just squeezed the dress pieces onto the black stretch denim that had been bought ages ago with the plan to make jeans. As it had a good amount of stretch I choose to line in Power Net (bought from Sew Curvy) with the thought that as well as providing a bit of built in tummy control it would help give a nice smooth shape while being firm enough to hold the Boning in place.
Moving the zip to the side seam ment I could add the lace up section in the back seam. This was done by angling the seam line, after the fitting had been done, to produce an open V shape.
Using black satin bias & narrow piping cord to edge the top, once it was all put together I had the scary job of punching the holes for the eyelets!!
The same bias was used to make a narrow cord for lacing and to finish the hem edge.
At the last minute I was afraid I’d feel a little bare so the night before I got out the scraps & managed to squeeze a waistcoat out of them. Using New Look 6914 but shortening the back section, I managed to finish it with an hour to spare…nothing like putting pressure on myself!