Dressed to celebrate

I wonder if many people follow the tradition of making a christening gown from their wedding dress?

My daughter loved the idea but there was NO chance I was getting my hands back on the Wedding Dress I had made for her a couple years ago 😂

I had of course squirrelled away all the scraps of left over fabric so when it was decided my little grandson needed a christening outfit I just about squeezed a little romper suit out of the satin fabric after a game of pattern piece Tetris!

Using Butterick 6045 I made the suit but omitted the frill around the collar and the centre front buttons. It was fastened on the back with small flat buttons and press studs were used on the bottom opening. This in hindsight was a mistake as he’s a little wriggler so they kept popping open. If I was making again I’d put buttons here too.

The narrow pin ticks on the bodice section added a simple and neat detail.

I had forgotten how fiddly it can be making little clothes especially setting in those little sleeves.

It was worth the effort though as he looked so cute in it and was a little angel all day enjoying every moment of being the centre of attention. 😍


Catch up time

Is it just me or is this year passing too quickly! It’s months since I’ve managed to sit down to blog so here’s a quick catch up on what I have been making.


I’ve done a few more reviews for Minerva Crafts

Blades Linen & Cotton Fabric

Boho Yarn

Lisa Comfort Busy Blossoms Fabric

As well as doing some pattern testing

DG Patterns

Bethany Pants

Ursula Top & Dress

The Wearable Studio

Canary Cami

So as you can see I have been keeping busy! After these makes I moved on to a special outfit for one of my grandson but I’ll share more about that in my next post😃


Have you heard about The Big Stitch Challenge by the British Foundation. Still a couple days left if you want to take part.

The Challenge is to buy an item from your local BHF shop and refashion it.

I found this XL mans shirt and the mini gingham fabric shouted retro style to me.

Cutting off the sleeves and the edge of the shoulder I then cut up side seams. Once opened up I shirred across the back at the waist line.

For the front shaping I added 3 darts at the waist and shaped/reduced the front side edge before reattaching to the back.

Folding back the collar and front facing I pressed into place and stitched on a button to hold in place.

The buttons were also an upcycled, cut off of a previous worn out item!

Now I have new shirt that goes perfectly with my new retro crop trousers, Simplicity 8342.

It’s a wrap…

I’ve seen so many beautiful wrap dresses around this year that I had to have a go myself. So with Ascot races approaching it was a perfect excuse for a new dress… or two!

With unusually warm weather forecasts I wanted something dressy but summery and cool.

I opted for McCalls 7119 due to the variety of options and this Floral Microfibre from Minerva Crafts.

It feels so soft and flowing to wear. The longer length of the skirt back and short sleeves made it feel smarter than a sundress.

As I have narrow shoulders I cut the dress size 10 at the neck, grading to a 12 at the bust & 14 at the hips. The dress then came together quickly without any fitting issues.

As you can see I’m not at the races here but I liked the dress so much that I made a second one straight away using a beautiful Peacock Blue Challis which I was sent to review for Minerva Crafts. This review will be on their blog shortly with more details of the making progress.

Both dresses travelled to Ascot with me but the the blue won on the day!

Absolutely Dotty!

I was so lucky to get the chance to review Wendy Wards new book in conjunction with Minerva Crafts.

A beginners guide to Sewing with Knitted Fabrics.

As you can tell I love my dotty dress. It’s so comfortable to wear.
Read the review here for more details.

Winter skirt in spring!

Not really sure what season I should be sewing for as it’s so changeable!

I really wanted to make another skirt from Simplicity 8342 as I love the feminine shape but as my summer version has sat patiently in the wardrobe since our holiday I decided on a warmer version.

The plan was stretch denim but searching through the fabric stash I came across this woven backed scuba which I think I bought from Fabricland. Not actually what the pattern calls for as it has no stretch but I now had a look in my mind now so decided to go with it and team it up with a Black Faux Leather dress fabric purchased a while ago from Fabricgodmother for the waistband and frill.

As I wasn’t using a stretch fabric I used the finished measurements to decide on the size to cut and it seemed to work well. As the fabric is a little bulky I topstitched each seam to keep seam allowance flat.

For the waistband I cut a longer length to have a tie back instead of a closure. Not sure if I really like this now I’ve worn so it may be altered!

As you can tell I’m happy with the rest of it and it matches perfectly with my shiny shoes!

Now to find the denim I was originally looking for so I can start another😃